Friday 26 February 2010

Snow and Me, A Bad Love Story. Part II

Yesterday, a lot of snow fell in Ithaca. When I woke up yesterday morning, there was at least six inches of snow waiting for me to step/fall/slip on when I walked outside. Given the steep inclines throughout campus and the surrounding areas, the snow caused people to fall, cars to spin out of control (even my housemate's four-wheel drive truck), and people to do insane things in the name of stability (such as grabbing trees and plant stems with thorns on them).

Last night, even more snow well, and I can see from my window at least one and a half feet of snow waiting for me.
Cornell opted to go for a delayed opening.




Wait, what?
Turns out Cornell decided to keep going on. Many professors have canceled classes, and more students (such as myself) are not going to class. The last time Cornell had a snow day was 2007. Despite Ithaca almost shutting down and various other inclement-weather emergencies, Cornell has not decided to cancel classes. I'm not sure what the algorithm is for canceling class, but I'd like to see a study or some research on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment