Tuesday 9 March 2010

Pre-Gaming

If you want to do something for a long time, you should try it out first to see if you like it.
Let's define "try it out." For most people this is an internship or research position at an organization or with a professor where they (let's face it) do bitch work. Things in the intern market have gotten better since the "get me coffee and make copies of this" phase." (I'm not even sure if that was the previous state of the intern market: any studies out there on intern conditions?) But it's still pretty monotonous stuff.
It's also pretty important monotonous stuff. I've been doing some thinking about my research project and where I am going to get my data from. I'm pretty sure I will have to go down to the SAS Registrar's office, get on both knees, and beg for data like my (academic) life depended on it. Then proceed to the Institutional Research and Planning Office, get on both knees, and beg for some more data. Did I mention they may not even have the data I am begging for?

"Have you no humility?"
In short, no. When it comes to getting a proper "try it out," I want to expose myself to every inkling of experience there is to offer. Down the road, I would rather not have to do these things when I could get it more easily at an equal or lower cost. But for now, this is going to be pretty cool! I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment